A place for those who enjoy the .410 bore family of Shotguns

The 148gr. 410 Slug

sany0629

This is an awesome load. A 148gr. Hollow base double wadcutter .410 shotgun slug –  here is the recipe:

1 – 3″  .410 BPI Hull w/209 primer

11 -grains of Red-Dot

3- 1/2″ Fiber wadstoday-045

1- WSA .410 HS Red Wad cut to sabot size (see the picture above)

1- .358 Hollow Based Double wad-cutter

Finish with a roll-crimp

148gr. is a large and effective round for close in hunting and personal defense. One out of five rounds will tumble at distances over 40 yards, but the rest are consistently in a 3″-4″ group. I have found this round not as accurate as a pumpkin ball slug, but more damaging. 410 shotgun slugs have always been “Under Weighed” in my estimation. What I mean by that is the 410 slug rounds from UK and American shell makers rarely exceed 100 grains – 148 grains is a slug!

8 responses

1. Art

Liked your 125 gr. slug, but all i have seen is 148 gr h b wad cutters . Also how did you mojnt a red dot sight on Moss. 500 410 ? I would like to do the same , I’am up in age and the red dot sight works great for me!!!

May 16, 2009 at 4:52 pm

• puritanpastor

Arthur,
      have you mounted that Red-dot on your Mossberg .410 yet?

November 21, 2010 at 4:53 pm

2. cpileri

Sirs,
    What velocity and groups, and from what barrel length, did the 148gr slugs achieve?
    Sincerely,
    Cpileri

November 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm

• puritanpastor

Cpileri,
      I have shot these from 18.5″ – 24″ barrels. Not sure of the velocity because I do not have a chrono. The “Lyman Cast Bullet” Handbook lists the starting load for a 158 grain, .357 Magnum with 10 grains of 2400 as producing 1130fps. This is a good estimate of fps., for the work I do.
      The key to this particular load and its accuracy is the fit of the wadcutter into the sabot you make from the wad. You should feel a “Pop” when fitting the two together. I have also found better results with “No Compression”.
      Recently I have worked up a new .410 slug round from .357 Semi-wadcutters inserted backwards and using 12 grains of 2400 in a 3″ hull with 6 grains of kapok for a filler. Very accurate at close range (10-15 yds). Groups have run in the 6″ range with occasional flyers or keyholers but mostly just good solid hits.
      I will be working up some of these newer rounds with the kapok filler and semi-wadcutters for a future post so check back.
      I am also posting a 210 grain .410 slug round at my website http://www.410shotgunner.com so check it out.
      Thanks for stopping by,
      Brent
      Hope this answered your questions.

November 21, 2010 at 4:52 pm

• cpileri

Thanks, Sir!
        I did a look around your websiote, but cant find the 210gr reference. Any pointers on which article or loading section its in?
        Also, with the updated 357SWC load, are groups ~6″ at 10-15 yards? Just as clarification.
        Thanks for the info. i am always looking to make good use of the 410 bore. Been thinking of working up a “410 bore FH” myself- although some may argue it is already known as the 444 Marlin; i think it has potential.
        C-

November 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm

• puritanpastor

My web host was supposed to have it up by now. I am out of town visiting my son and will return next Tuesday. If it is not posted by Wednesday I will post here @ smallbore.

November 24, 2010 at 7:47 am

3. cpileri

Looking foward to reading it, Sir. Happy Thanksgiving! C-

November 25, 2010 at 4:00 pm

4. cpileri

I checked in, and saw the 210gr info available to members; so I signed up. Looking foward to the info.
    Should go well with a thread i started here: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,223383.0.html about loading a loooong 45LC cartridge, which can be basically looked at as a 410bore with a heavy slug.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,